Tuesday, May 27, 2014

SAVE THE CAT to Save Your Plot


My first manuscripts had wandering plots. I thought every scene I wrote was entertaining and necessary. They weren't. SAVE THE CAT changed the way I looked at writing. Once I understood where I was going, my scene structure and pacing improved dramatically.

I love the Beat Sheet provided in SAVE THE CAT. I outline every story idea I'm considering on it and when I'm in the actual process of writing, the Beat Sheet lets me know if I'm hitting the right points at the right time. When a story doesn't fit into the Beat Sheet time line, I know there are some serious flaws I need to work on. A story that flows well will hit the correct plot points without me trying.

This book was so helpful to me, if I could recommend only one book for writers, SAVE THE CAT would be it.

No comments: