Thursday, May 19, 2016

An Apology I'm Not Going to Make

Coming Soon! Scary!

As the release of my debut novel approaches, and becomes more real, I am starting to panic.

The book really isn't that good.

At least, that is the fear that overtakes me as people tell me they are going to be buying my book, with the implication being they are actually going to read it.

The only thing I can think of is one critque I got a few years back, where the editor wrote, "You write like Suzanne Collins, only worse."

Yes. That's probably true. I'm not JK Rowling, or Suzanne Collins, or one of the many authors whose work I admire.

I'm only me.

And while I did my best, I'm debut author, still learning.


That doesn't mean ALL THINGS NOW LIVING  is bad. As I've gone over final edits, I've been surprised that maybe it's even a little good.

That doesn't mean there aren't things people won't like. So, before my book comes out, here are my true confessions:

I wrote in first person, present tense. This point of view isn't for everyone. Some have called this point of view gimmicky. I don't agree.

My book is for young adults. There are no swear words, sex scenes, or graphic violence. I know some say writing for teens, or writing "clean" for any age group, brings less depth to difficult topics. Okay, maybe my book isn't gritty, but I don't shy away from truth, no matter how dark it is.

My book is not a great work of literature. As I've said to those who ask, the plot is basically "plucky girl saves the world, inspired by hot boy." I wasn't aiming for a Man Booker or Nobel prize. I only want my novel to be entertaining and thought provoking. I think I've achieved that, and I think that's enough.

There will be people who love my book. There will be people who hate it. I'm okay with that, and while I know my book isn't perfect, the one apology I will never make is for writing it. I did my best, and that is all I can do.

If you are so kind as to be one of the people who someday buys and reads my book, I have only one request. Whether you enjoy the book or not, please appreciate how difficult it is for any artist to put their work out there. We are opening our souls to the world, and that is not something everyone can do.

No comments: