Friday, August 14, 2015

Book Review - ANGELHOOD


Angelhood by A.J. Cattapan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. In general contemporary, issue, and urban fantasy books aren't my favorites, and it seemed like this book was all three. I'm glad I overcame my prejudices to give ANGELHOOD a try.

ANGELHOOD brought me to tears several times. In addition to evoking deep emotion, the author did an excellent job putting in compelling story form some pretty solid advice about dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts.

That being said, I would have liked to see some mention of mental health care somewhere, even in an appendix. Not all depression is the same. Some people need to seek counseling, others require the help of a psychiatrist, or to be put on medication. And that's okay.

Overall, I did really enjoy ANGELHOOD. I would highly recommend to readers who enjoy emotional, life affirming stories.

I will also say if you are a reader hesitant to read ANGELHOOD because it appears to conflict with your personal belief system (for example, you don't believe dead people become guardian angels), there is a last minute twist that keeps the meaning of the book intact without offending different theological points of view.



View all my reviews

No comments: