Thursday, January 15, 2015

Are Most Writers Introverts or Extroverts?



Books - Great to read or hide behind!


My husband's favorite summer vacation is camping. Mine is backpacking. While at first these two activities may sound similar, they are, in fact, very different. My husband likes to sit around a fire and do nothing but visit with people day after day. I prefer staying on the move in a remote area where I can run off the trail and hide when I hear other hikers headed our way.

I like people. Really, I do. Quietly. From a distance. Watching them. And no, I'm not a creeper, I am an introvert writer.

The idea of writer as introvert is almost a stereotype. While I know there are plenty of writing extroverts, I would say most of my writer friends are introverts. The best writers must be able to thoughtfully observe human behavior as well as spend hours alone. Most introverts come by these traits naturally.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert?

No comments: