Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Sharing the Writer's Process or Should Harry & Hermione Have Ended up Together?

Are you trying to tell me Harry Potter didn't really happen?

JK Rowling famously bared her writer's soul in an interview she did with Emma Watson for Wonderland Magazine in February of 2014. Here is a quote from the article:

"I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That's how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron. I know, I'm sorry, I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility."

Despite the fact some fans used this interview to come to the conclusion JK Rowling now believes Hermione should have ended up with Harry (she does go on in the interview to say Harry and Hermione were, perhaps, a better fit) I see this more as a example of writer's confession. Once a manuscript is published, there is no taking back what was written. The writer must live with their choices.

As I writer, I am torn by this sort of admission. On one hand, I get a peak into JK Rowling's writing process, which is great, but another part of me wants to plug my ears and sing la-la-la-la-la. Harry Potter, after all, really happened, didn't it? JK Rowling couldn't have just made it all up. And Hermione ended up with Ron. End of story.

Do you like hearing writers talk about what might have been, or would you rather they keep their mouths shut?

 Magazine

interview Emma Watson did for Wonderland Magazine
interview Emma Watson did for Wonderland Magazin

No comments: