Monday, November 03, 2014

When NaNoWriMo Doesn't Go So Well

This is probably not going to be me. Yes, I'm a loser.
The intimidation factor hit the first day of NaNoWriMo. Writers proudly proclaimed they'd not only gotten in their 1167 words for the day, but more. And when I say more, I mean 6,000-7,000 words and up. In a few hours. Meanwhile, after typing all afternoon, I hadn't met my minimum.

Yes, I'm super happy for everyone who can speed write, but fast drafts are not part of my pyche. So why do I do NaNoWriMo?

1. It's a great excuse to write, especially since I don't get paid for writing very often and certainly not a lot and my family sometimes questions why I spend large amounts of time writing. "But Honey, it's NaNoWriMo! I have to spend all day writing."

2. It's great to be part of a writing community. Okay, so I do get jealous of the people who put up serious word count, but not that jealous, and it's more important for me to be a part of something bigger than myself.

3. I get a lot of writing done during NaNoWriMo. Seriously. Maybe not 50,000 words, but more than I usually do, and while I may not crank out the numbers, I like to pretend what I do write is pretty decent and *maybe* a little closer to publication than what faster writers put out.

So don't give up. Write. NaNoWriMo is not a competition. It is an event, and to me, everyone who participates is a winner.

No comments: