Friday, June 13, 2014

Writing Reviews When You Didn't Like the Book

Conflicted over writing a review on a really bad book.
As writers, we don't like to slam another writer's work. We know how much it takes to finish a novel and the blood, sweat, and tears we each put into what we write. Sometimes, however, we come across a real clunker. My default position on such books had always been to not put up a review at all, the old, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Then the realization dawned on me that my not caring for a book didn't necessarily mean no one else would like it. Also, even if there were things I didn't like about a book, there were always good things, too.

So now I state that the review is my opinion, and while the book wasn't for me, another person may like it, and point out the good as well as the bad.

How do handle reviewing books you don't like?

No comments: