Tuesday, October 14, 2014

To Each His Own (Or what I learned from being a finalist in a national writing contest.)

Not everyone is going to love your work, but some will.

In 2012 I was a finalist in the ACFW Genesis contest, YA division. While I am grateful for the opportunities it brought, I am probably most appreciative for one very important lesson learned:


Everyone's opinion is different.

There were judges who loved  my story. There were judges who hated it.  If one or two judges had been different, I may have won, or I might not have been a finalist at all.

This doesn't mean I'm against contests, but it is a good reminder when getting critiques or submitting to agents and editors. Not everyone is going to love your work, and that's okay.

By all means, keep working on your craft. Each day write to be better. But you don't need to change your story to make someone else happy, because you'll never satisfy everyone no matter what you do.

1 comment:

Peggy Wirgau said...

Spot on, Rondi. We're told to consider all the comments from readers, critiques and contest judges, and take them seriously when more than one say the same thing. But even then we have to be careful about changing our stories just to please others. Its tough because we want people to like what we write, but no matter how much we revise, not everyone will.